Hallux Valgus is deformity that the joint develops a prominent sideways angle by turning the big toe outward and turning the first metatarsalbone inward. Due to this deformity the bones of the big toe are pushed towards the smaller toes. It causes pain by turning the first metatarsal head inward, and by rubbed and stressed with shoes while walking duck footed. The big toe kicks out a foot in order to lift the foot. When the foot kicks out, the first metatarsal head turns inward and the bunion turns outward. This ultrathin bunion supporter not only gently twists the big toe inwards, but also helps to keep the first metatarsal head in the right position at the same time. Sounds terrible doesn’t it?
For those who are still not sure if what they are looking at classifies as a bunion (or are still in denial just to avoid saying the word “bunion”? Here is a great article that gives a quick description of the most common foot ailments. Go ahead…check it out, no use in reading on if it’s not a bunion.
It’s Confirmed, It’s a Bunion…
Welcome back and my condolences. It must be true. You have a bunion or you wouldn’t still be reading. Now what? What does this mean? It is going to get worse? Do I need to seek treatment about this bony nub? In short, it depends. Does it interfere with life – activities, certain shoes, or with the other toes? Maybe it’s time.
So who has bunions, you ask?…
Over 80 million people in the U.S. are affected by bunions
9 out o10 bunion sufferers are women (shocker….)
More than 50% of the population suffer from bunions
Almost 68% of bunion sufferers have a family history of bunions (Thanks Ma’!!)
Certain foot types predispose us to bunions like flat feet
Bunions tend to become more prevalent as you age
<18 years old – 15% of girls, 5.7% boys
18-65 years old – 26.3% women, 8.5% men
>65 years old – 36% women, 16% men
SIGN UP FOR OUR BUNION BOOTIE NEWSLETTER OR “LIKE” US ON FACEBOOK TO BE THE FIRST TO HEAR ABOUT DEALS AND PROMOTIONS!
- Hallux WHAT?!?! (bunionbootieblog.wordpress.com)
- Are orthotics enough to treat a foot bunion? (zocdoc.com)
- Bunion (Hallux Valgus) Treatment and Classification by Stage (bunionsupport.com)
- Is it Bunion Season? (bunionsupport.com)
- Bunion Bootie…The Newest Relief for Bunion Pain! (bunionsupport.com)
- Can Your Diet Be Hurting Your Bunion? (bunionsupport.com)
- Hallux WHAT?!?! (bunionsupport.com)
- Bunion Surgery? There Has to Be Another Way….. (bunionsupport.com)
- Barefoot Bunion Running? (bunionsupport.com)
- Bunion Bootie feedback (bunionsupport.com)
- How do you treat YOUR bunions? 6 Home Remedies…. (bunionsupport.com)